Monday, January 03, 2005

Pity the poor cows

I read a most disturbing article in The Scotsman the other day. Scotland has banned fox hunting, which is a good thing, right? Or so it seems. But the ban also resulted in unemployment for hundreds of foxhounds. When the ban came into effect, the dogs no longer had a useful purpose. No one wanted them. As a consequence of this act of kindness to foxes, more than 400 dogs have been put to death. And hundreds of horses are facing a similar fate.

Now I have the utmost respect for animal welfare and rights organizations like PETA and others who work tirelessly to better the lot of animals around the world. But I question their lack of foresight when they urge others to become vegans and stop wearing clothes made of leather, wool, silk and down. What do they think will happen to all those cows, pigs, chickens, geese and lambs who are now grazing peacefully in pastures and barnyards around the world?

Do they imagine we live in a world where farmers will continue to care for Bossie and Cluck when they can no longer sell the milk or the meat or the eggs? Are they dreaming? Or is this the reason there is a very big article on euthanasia on the PETA website?

Check it out for yourself. That cute little pig with the picket sign? What will happen to him when the world no longer eats bacon or pork chops? Figure it out.

Maybe that's their game. I hate to think it, but maybe they don't like animals at all. Unless someone can tell me PETA's plans for all the unemployed cows, pigs, sheep and chickens they want to create, I'm going to keep questioning their lack of concern for these poor creatures. And I'm going to keep eating beef and chicken and pork chops, and wearing my down parka in really cold weather. Because I like animals. I am grateful to them for the things they give me. And I want them to continue living their useful lives in peace and dignity until they turn up on my plate.

And that's my rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home